Apple Cinnamon Scrolls
Prep: 20 mins | Chilling: 30 mins | Serves: 12
2 cups self-raising flour
1 Tsp. baking powder
½ Tsp. ground cinnamon
100g unsalted butter, chopped, chilled
2/3 cup milk
Extra flour, to dust
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
20g butter, chopped
4 medium apples, peeled, cored, diced into 1cm cubes
¼ cup EQUAL SPOONFUL
1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
3 Tbsp. EQUAL SPOONFUL
2 Tsp. corn flour
2 Tsp. water
1. To make filling, melt butter in a large non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add apple and cook for 8 minutes or until lightly browned and just tender. Stir in EQUAL SPOONFULand cinnamon, then remove from heat and transfer to a medium bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl. Add butter and use your fingertips to rub into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in centre and add milk. Use a butter knife to stir, cutting into mixture, until a soft loose sticky dough forms.
3. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured bench and knead until all flour has been incorporated. Roll dough between 2 sheets of baking paper into a 5mm thick rectangle, roughly 35 x 30cm. Scatter apple mixture on top, leaving a 1cm border.
4. Roll up from 1 long side to form a log. Trim off edges, then cut into twelve 2cm thick rounds. Arrange rounds 5mm apart, cut side up, on prepared tray. Brush with a little of the egg yolk and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
5. Meanwhile, to make icing, combine ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle icing over warm scrolls and serve immediately.