Buckwheat Pancakes with Cherry Chocolate Topping
Prep: 15 mins | Cooking: 20 mins | Serves: 10
340g (1/3 cup) smooth ricotta
1 Tbsp. EQUAL SPOONFUL
185mL (3/4 cup) low fat milk
4 eggs, separated
130g (1 cup) buckwheat flour
1 Tsp. gluten free baking powder
1 Tsp. gluten free cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
50-75g unsalted butter, softened for greasing
CHERRY AND CHOCOLATE TOPPING
415g cherries; pitted (tinned cherries can be used if fresh cherries aren't in season)
400g dark chocolate
1. Place the ricotta, EQUAL, milk and egg yolks in a bowl and stir to combine.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt into the ricotta mixture and stir until well combined.
3. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the ricotta mixture in two or three batches.
4. Lightly grease a large non-stick frying pan with 1/3 of the butter until foaming. Drop 2 tablespoons of batter per pancake into the pan and cook, covered, in batches of three over medium heat for 2 minutes until the pancakes are golden on the underside. Turn the pancakes and cook on the other side until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.
5. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water).
6. Place the first pancake down and dress with cherries and drizzle with a small amount of chocolate. Place the next pancake on top and dress with cherries and any cherry juice and drizzle a little heavier with chocolate.