Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Prep: 20 mins | Cooking time: 1 hr | Serves: 16
Cooking oil spray, to grease
3 cups coarsely grated carrot, firmly packed
2 cups EQUAL SPOONFUL
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 eggs, separated
¾ cup milk
1 Tbsp. golden syrup
2 cups plain flour
1½ Tsp. baking powder
1 Tsp. bicarbonate of soda
1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tsp. ground nutmeg
1 Tsp. mixed spice
½ cup walnuts, finely chopped
½ cup sultanas, roughly chopped
Extra 1¼ cups finely chopped walnuts, to decorate
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1 Tbsp. milk
¼ cup EQUAL SPOONFUL
250g block cream cheese, chopped
1 Tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 20cm round cake tin with cooking oil spray and line base and sides with baking paper.
2. Put carrot, EQUAL SPOONFUL, oil, egg yolks, milk and golden syrup in a large bowl. Mix with a spatula until combined.
3. In a separate large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices. Make a well in the centre and pour in carrot mixture. Gently stir until well combined, then stir in walnuts and sultanas. Put egg whites in a large bowl and beat until stiff peaks form, then fold into batter in 2 batches.
4. Spoon batter into prepared tin. Bake for 1 hour 5 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, to make icing, put milk and EQUAL SPOONFUL in a small bowl and mix until well combined. Put cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high, using paddle attachment, until light and fluffy. Add EQUAL mixture and Vanilla and beat on low until combined, then increase speed to high and beat until fluffy.
6. Spoon icing on cake and spread to coat top. Decorate with extra Walnuts. Serve.
**CHEF'S TIP: You will need about 4 large peeled Carrots to make 3 cups of grated Carrot.