Chocolate Mince Pies
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 25 mins | Serves: 24
1 ½ cup dried mixed fruit
1 apple, diced
¼ cup crushed pineapple in natural juice
2 Tbsp. orange juice
2 Tsp. mixed spice
2 Tbsp. EQUAL SPOONFUL
24 glace cherries, to garnish
1 cup plain flour
¾ cup self-paising flour
1 ½ cup almond meal
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 Tbsp. EQUAL SPOONFUL
60g canola or olive margarine
1 egg, lightly beaten
80mL iced water
1. Place all filling ingredients, except the EQUAL and cherries in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days, stirring occasionally.
2. Sift the flours, meal, cocoa powder and EQUAL into a large bowl. Rub in the margarine with fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the egg, then just enough water to make the ingredients come together. Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface until smooth. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
3. Roll out pastry to 3mm thickness, and cut into 24 rounds using a 7.5 cam cutter. Gently ease into lightly oiled patty tines.
4. Stir EQUAL into fruit mixture, then divide between pastry cases. Decorate with left over pastry and the glace
5. Bake at 180°C for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is crisp.
6. Allow to cool and then lightly dust with EQUAL. Serve.