Lemon, Lime and Coconut Syrup Cakes
Prep: 10 mins | Cooking: 18 mins | Serves: 12
4Cooking oil spray, to grease
3 eggs, separated
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 Lemon, plus extra zest strips of 1/2 Lemon
Finely grated zest and Juice of 1 Lime, plus extra zest strips of 1/2 Lime
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup milk
100g almond meal
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
2 EQUAL SACHETS, plus extra 1 EQUAL SACHET
1 Tsp. vanilla bean paste
1/2 cup self raising flour (or GF alternative)
1/2 Tsp. bicarbonate of soda
Edible flowers, to garnish
Toasted coconut chips, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Grease a 12-hole 1/3 cup-capacity mini bundt tin with oil.
2. Put egg yolks, finely grated lemon and lime zest, olive oil and milk into a large bowl. Whisk until combined. Stir in almond meal, coconut, EQUAL and vanilla. Sift in Flour and bicarbonate of soda and stir until combined.
3.Put egg whites into a large bowl and using electric hand beaters, beat until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the almond mixture, in 2 batches, until just combined. Pour evenly into prepared pan holes, 2 Tbsp in each.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cakes are firm to touch. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack.
5. Meanwhile, to make syrup, strain lemon and lime juice into a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 2 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in extra EQUAL and extra zest. Drizzle over the cakes whilst they are still warm. Serve warm, or set aside to cool completely.
6. Serve garnished edible flowers and toasted coconut.
*Note - To make this recipe gluten free, simply replace the 1/2 Cup Self-raising flour with a Gluten free flour alternative such as Coconut, buckwheat or Potato flour.