Lemon Meringue Pie
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 1 hr | Serves: 10
2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
2 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup cornflour
2 egg whites
1 Tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cups EQUAL SPOONFUL
40g butter, chopped
Yellow food colouring, to tint
3 egg whites
1/4 Tsp. cream of tartar
2/3 cup EQUAL SPOONFUL
1. Preheat oven to 220ºC. Grease a 30cm x 8cm rectangular loose-bottomed fluted tart tin with cooking oil spray. Line base and sides of tin with pastry sheets, slightly overlapping at the join. Use a small knife to trim off excess overhanging pastry. Pierce the base of the pastry with a fork several times. Line with a sheet of baking paper and fill with baking weights or raw beans or rice. Bake in a preheat oven for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights, beans or rice and bake for a further 4-5 minutes or until pastry is light golden. Cool on a wire rack.
2. To make lemon filling, combine water, lemon juice and cornflour in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
3. Meanwhile put eggs, egg whites and lemon zest into a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Whisk in EQUAL and half the hot lemon cornflour mixture until smooth. Return to saucepan and whisk until combined. Cook, stirring constantly over med-low heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Add a few drops of food colouring to tint yellow. Pour mixture into prepared pastry.
4. To make meringue topping, put egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat till soft peaks. Gradually add EQUAL 1 Tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition until stiff peaks form.
5. Spoon meringue into a piping bag fitted with a plain 1cm round nozzle. Pipe peaks of meringue onto hot lemon filling to cover filling completely. Bake for 3 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside to cool to room temperature then transfer to fridge to cool completely. Serve.