Orange, Brandy and Mustard Glazed Ham
Prep: 15 mins | Cooking time: 5 minutes | Chilling time: 4 hours | Serves: 24
8kg whole leg ham, bone in
8 sprigs thyme
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
1 Tbsp. extra virgin oive oil
1 Tsp. dijon mustard
1 fresh bay leaf
1 Tbsp. brandy
½ cup EQUAL SPOONFUL
Extra 3 small oranges, to serve (optional)
Bay leaves, to garnish (optional)
1. Position one shelf in lowest shelf position of oven, and remove all other shelves. Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line a large roasting pan with baking paper.
2. Put ham on a chopping board, skin side up. Using a small sharp knife, cut through rind about 15cm from the end. To remove rind from ham, starting at the large end of the ham, insert your thumb between rind and fat. Run your thumb from side to side, separating the rind from fat, taking care not to tear the rind or the fat. Discard rind. Score in parallel lines 1cm apart. Cover shank with foil to prevent it burning, then transfer Ham to prepared roasting pan.
3. Combine thyme, orange zest and juice, oil, mustard, bay leaf and brandy in a small saucepan and stir over low heat until simmering. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat. Stir in EQUAL. Brush half the mixture over surface of ham and spread with a pastry. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until light golden.
4. Brush remaining glaze over ham. Return to oven to bake for a further 10 minutes, or until light golden. Stand for 10 minutes.
5. Serve garnished with orange slices and bay leaves.
*Note: This is based on 6.75kg total edible meat (i.e. minus bone). An 8kg ham yields approx. 150g of meat per serve.
Energy 1479kJ (354 Cal)
Fat Total 15g
- Saturated 5.2g
- Sugar 0.2g