Sticky Date Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce
Prep: 15 mins | Chilling: 30 mins | Serves: 12
250g pitted dates, roughly chopped
1½ cups boiling water
1 Tsp. bicarbonate of soda
Cooking oil spray, to grease
100g butter, chopped, softened
1¼ cups EQUAL SPOONFUL
1½ cups self raising flour
1 Tsp. ground ginger
1 Tsp. mixed spice
1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
Ice-cream, to serve
SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
125g butter, chopped
¼ cup EQUAL SPOONFUL
1 heaped Tbsp. Golden Syrup
150mL thickened cream
Pinch of sea-salt flakes
1. Put dates and water in a medium saucepan over a high heat. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2 minutes or until dates are slightly softened. Remove from heat and stir in bicarbonate of soda. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
2. Meanwhile, grease 12 holes of a standard muffin tray with cooking oil spray. Line base of each hole with a disc of baking paper.
3. Preheat oven 180°C. Put butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high, with paddle attachment, until pale. Add EQUAL SPOONFUL and beat until mixture resembles crumbs. Add eggs and ½ cup of the flour and beat well with a wooden spoon for 1 minute or until combined. Add spices, remaining flour and the cooled date mixture, and mix until well combined. Spoon mixture evenly into prepared holes. (approx. 1/3 cup batter into each hole) Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.
4. Meanwhile, to make salted caramel sauce, put butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until melted. Stir in EQUAL SPOONFUL and golden syrup. Bring to the boil and stir in cream. Bring back to the boil, stirring continuously, then simmer, stirring, for a further 4 minutes or until light golden. Stir in sea-salt flakes.
5. Serve puddings with ice-cream and salted caramel sauce.