Turkey Roulade with Sourdough Apple Stuffing
Prep: 1 hour | Cooking time: 1 hour | Serves: 12
1 large turkey breast (approx. 1.5kg)
4 cups sourdough or rye bread, cut into cubes
50g macadamias, chopped
2 green apples, diced
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves (or 2 tsp dried)
2 Tsp. rosemary
1 small red onion, diced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. EQUAL SPOONFUL
2 Tbsp. currants
1 cup low fat milk
1. Combine the bread, nuts, apples, herbs, onion and olive oil. Spread mix on lined baking tray and bake at 165ºC for 15 minutes. Return to bowl and stir through the EQUAL, currants, egg and milk. Mix well.
2. Butterfly then flatten the turkey breast with a meat mallet or rolling pin. Open out the fillet and spoon the stuffing along the centre, leaving 5cm on each end.
3. Place remaining stuffing in a lightly oiled baking dish, cover and set aside. Bring the edges of the turkey breast around to encase the stuffing and tie with string. Wrap tightly in a few layers of plastic wrap, tying ends to seal, then wrap again in foil.
4. Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan, add the turkey then cover and simmer for about 40 minutes. Remove from heat and press lightly to gently release the juices, then remove the foil and plastic wrap and place turkey on a rack in a baking dish 1-2cm liquid in the base. Cover loosely with foil and bake at 180C for an hour.
5. Place the remaining stuffing in the oven for the final 30 minutes. Allow turkey to sit for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
*Note: cooking time may vary depending on the size of the turkey, so check after 40 minutes.
**Chef’s Tip: Great served with cranberry sauce.
Fat Total 9.9g
- Saturated 2.2g
- Sugar 5.9g
Dietary Fibre 2.3g